To add a bit of colour and fun to what is otherwise a bit of a grey time, I thought I’d share with you the bunting that I made last month :).
Materials: double-sided interfacing, assorted colourful fabrics, bias binding, thread
Equipment: iron, ironing board, sharp scissors, needle
I spent about £8 on materials for this, aside from what I had already – which was more than I needed to, I have lots and lots of fabric left over. Still, I’m sure I’ll find something to do with it later. I made 5 metres of bunting, which I think is about the minimum for hanging round a small tent – I was planning to go back and make more once I’d done this, but due to not being able to use the sewing machine (see below) I ran out of time.
The most expensive part was the double-sided interfacing – at something like £1.50/mtr (30cm wide). I bought a metre and got 104cm, so I calculated how to make the most of it by making the triangles tesselate
I had a selection of fabrics – from left to right: blue and pink cotton voile bought for this project, faux-patchwork cotton left over from making cushion covers, and fabrics which you might recognise from my waistcoat
to make the tesselation work, I had some half-triangles* which I put together with solid pieces of fabric either side to hold them together. They turned out like this:
then once I had that out of the way I could experiment a bit more with stripes and patches to use up the oddly-shaped bits of fabric
eventually they were all done
our sewing machine broke down (fixed now, all it needed was some cleaning out, fluff-removing and oiling) so I ended up sewing the triangles to the bias binding by hand. And then it was done!
Yay, colourful things :).